By the age of 18, one in four girls and one in six boys will be the victim of sexual abuse. One in three boys and one in four girls will be the victim of physical abuse.
Abuse and neglect impact children of all ages, socio-economic backgrounds and ethnicities. In 2014, Frederick’s Child Protective Services received 2,677 reports of potential abuse and neglect. Many more are not reported.
- Do you want to make sure that children who’ve experienced some of the worst traumas imaginable have all the support they need?
- Do you want to raise community awareness of child abuse and neglect and help to prevent it?
- Do you want to invest your time and talents in events and activities that make a difference?
If so, you’ve reached the right place. We are the Friends of the Frederick Child Advocacy Center, an all volunteer non-profit organization. And we are looking for people, like you, to help us make our community a safe place for every child to grow up, free of abuse and neglect.
We have two goals:
- to increase awareness of child abuse and neglect in Frederick County and help to prevent it
- to support the Frederick County Child Advocacy Center (CAC) and the young victims it serves
After a reported incident, the CAC offers abused children and their non-offending family members a confidential and warm setting. Here caring professionals provide medical, law enforcement, mental health, victim advocacy, and prosecutorial services all at one location. It is less overwhelming for the victims and results in a more coordinated response to begin the process of healing.
Join us in giving a voice to child abuse awareness and prevention through participation and sponsorship.
Help us support the precious children who have suffered and are struggling to make their lives whole again.